Monday, November 16, 2009

Mexican art show @ SAM


Hey History Nuts, don't miss this exhibition! The theme of modernity is familiar - see how Mexican artists dealt with tumultuous changes in their country from the 1900s to the 1950s. Though I don't think I saw anything as dramatic as Picasso's La Guernica, there were definitely similar 'modern' sensibilities present at this dark and thought-provoking show. On second thought, maybe the piece showing pierced arms and mutilated bodies - a scathing critique of the Spanish conquistadors (I didn't note down the art's name) - does come close to Picasso's vision of maimed horses. I also think the addition of a mini Philippines 'modernity' gallery was a nice touch - a conscious effort by the curator to conjoin the two countries' shared experiences?

Will definitely go back again with my camera.. haha.. The one that really caught my eye was Raul Anguiano's 'The Thorn' - the lithograph above showing a sagely Mayan removing a thorn from her foot. Look at that cool poise, ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment