Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Forever Nirvana


Nirvana is the first band that really made a huge impact on my life. It was perhaps the angst that I related to most in Kurt Cobain's songs. The world can have it their way while I implode in my pop punk music. Of course, it's only a matter of time before I trace Nirvana's music other bands - from more well-known ones from R.E.M. and U2 to the more obscure ones like The Pixies and Vaselines.

While it much more time and effort to discover obscure bands then, the internet revolution changed things for the better. Almost a decade ago, searching for acclaimed indie American bands required researching for their references in band's biographies or mags like maximumrocknroll at Tower Records. To actually listen to these music I could either download with impunity mp3's if I'm lucky or buy the expensive imports.

Now I go to either of the following. Although the list is pitiable, these are more than I ever dreamed of.
launch: customised radio service from yahoo;
kcrw: podcasts that feature exciting, new bands weekly;
youtube: surprisingly, a growing library of bootlegs and music videos uploaded by fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment