Sunday, August 26, 2007

DCFC on Class95

On the ride home at the back of Colin's car, I was listening dreamily to the radio and the conversation between Colin and his girlfriend. Then suddenly I heard Ben Gibbard sing the lines--If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks/ I'll follow you into the dark--and I wasn't sure if I was hearing things because I certainly did not expect local radio to play DCFC.
The band's not indie anymore but not commercially successful enough to be up there with big acts like Spice Girls and Take That. Colin said the station's Class95 and turned up the volume to hear the curious emo song. I'm not sure what I feel about sharing the band I love so much with everyone else and lose that little sense of exclusivity. I hope they don't become a commercial cliche. (The late "anti-corporate" Kurt Cobain has his own action figure!?!) On the other hand, a greater popularity will mean their CD's will be cheaper and a stronger likelihood they'll come down for a concert or otherwise the local cover bands will make sure how to play their songs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment