Saturday, July 29, 2006

daiko..


I was surprised when the website spdaiko I designed for my daiko club turned up when I googled the term 'daiko'. It almost gave a sensation of pride, or nostalgia -- the site wasn't a sophisticated piece of work.

Anyway, if you do visit the site, the drummer show on the homepage was my sensei, Akemi Jige, when I was in Japan for a daiko-drum workshop. To this day, I am filled with awe and respect for her when I think about her skills. Her drumming was energetic, forceful and vigourous, and you could see her completely absorbed in the rhythms, I wasn't surprised she was in her early 50's packing over a thousand push-ups and sit-ups everyday to get her physique.

In fact, ChannelNewsAsia did a feature on the revival of daiko-drumming in Japan and interviewed sensei Jige. Read about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment